Assistant Clinical Professor
Blg 68 Rm #209
Northern Arizona University
Erica Pratt has been a member of the Northern Arizona University (NAU) Health Sciences faculty since 2013. Prior to NAU she worked as a teaching assistant at the University of Northern Colorado (UNC) in the school of Sport and Exercise Science. Erica earned her M.S. in Physical Education with an emphasis in Supervision from Springfield College and her B.S. in Movement Science from Westfield State University, both in Massachusetts. She is currently completing her Ph.D. in Sport Pedagogy (dissertation phase) at UNC.
Previous to pursuing her doctoral degree, Erica taught secondary Health and Physical Education for nearly a decade in the Massachusetts public school system. During this time she was actively involved in several professional organizations at the state, district, and national levels. Additionally, she has experience facilitating Adventure Education lessons on numerous ropes courses; coaching and officiating sports at the youth, secondary, and university levels; and has residential sports camp experience.
Erica currently serves on the Academic Program Review and Health Sciences Curriculum Committees and participates in the colleague-to-colleague mentoring program at NAU. She is a co-Principal Investigator with Dr. Steve Palmer on the Native American Physical Education Practicum (NA-PEP) grant that provides physical education instruction to students on the Native American reservations in Arizona.
Primary Teaching Area in the Department: Physical Education
- HS 200: Health Lifestyles
- PE 345: Physical Education for Middle School Students
- PE 355: Physical Education for High School Students
- PE 435: Evaluation and Assessment in Health and Physical Education
- PE 408: Fieldwork Experience
Current Research Interest Areas: Social constructivist approaches to teaching and learning within contemporary professional development activities (specifically communities of practice) and supervisory practices of preservice teachers.
- Society for Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE)
- Association Internationale des Ecoles Superieures d'Education Physique (AIESEP)
- Arizona Association of Health and Physical Education (AZHPE)
Certifications / Licenses:
- National Institute of Health (NIH) Certification to Conduct Research on Human Subjects
- Pre K-12 Physical Education Teaching Licensure (MA)
- K-12 Health Education and Family Consumer Science Licensure (MA)
- American Heart Association CPR / AED