Blg Rolle Rm #210
Northern Arizona University
Dierdra Bycura, Ed.D., has been a member of the Northern Arizona University (NAU) Health Sciences faculty since 2006. Prior to NAU she taught at Arizona State University (ASU) and Mesa Community College along with running her own personal training business. Dr. Bycura earned her B.S. in Exercise Science and Masters in Secondary Physical Education from ASU and her Ed.D. from NAU in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Exercise Psychology.
Dr. Bycura currently serves as the lead faculty for the Fitness Wellness program. Her past roles at NAU include teaching courses in the Physical Education Teacher Education program and Public Health.
Additionally, Dr. Bycura serves on a national committee with the American College of Sports Medicine for Credentialing and Exam Development (2004 - present). She also serves as an appointed member of the University Assessment Committee at NAU.
Primary Teaching Area in the Department: Fitness Wellness
- PE 325: Applied Movement Analysis
- FW330: Health Risk Appraisal and Fitness Assessment
- FW 406: Health Coaching
- FW 420: Exercise Program Design
- FW 430: Professional Practice and Responsibilities
- HS 408C: Capstone in Fitness Wellness
Current Research Interest Area: The relationship between physiological response and psychological aspects of physical activity behavior. Examining identifiable factors (self-regulation, assessment, motivation) and their co-contribution to physical activity behavior.
Certifications / Licenses:
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Health Fitness Specialist
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Certified Personal Trainer
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) Group Exercise Instructor
- State of Arizona Teaching License K-12 Physical Education