Join our program
If the Athletic Training Education Program is right for you:
- Deadline to apply to the MSAT program has entered ROLLING admissions until May 1, 2017 or until all available spots have been filled (60 students).
- Click here for application requirements.
- Applicants qualifying for an interview (after application review)will be invited for an ON-CAMPUS interview December 15-17, 2016. Interviews will take place on Phoenix Campus. PLEASE keeps these dates relatively open in the event that you are invited for an interview. Those applicants applying to the program after December 10, 2016 will be interviewed based on NAU AT Program Administration availability in Spring 2017.
- Understand this is a mandatory 2-year program, regardless of previous credit hours
- Complete both an ATCAS application and an NAU Graduate College online graduate school application
Admission is competitive and limited, with the number of applicants varying annually.
We base admission decisions on:
- the course work you’ve completed
- generally, you must have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent, in the last two years of work leading to the bachelor's degree. The minimum is a cummulative 2.50 GPA on your undergraduate degree. As a student in a graduate program, you are expected to have undergraduate experiences, including general education studies, that are similar to those required for the baccalaureate at Northern Arizona University.
- your GRE score (in order to be competitive, we recommend scores of at least: verbal 140; quantitative 139; writing 3.5). Please use CODE: 1783 when completing GRE application to ensure GRE scores are sent to ATCAS (and eventually, NAU).
- your experience in athletic training (you need at least 100 observation hours under an active certified athletic trainer
- your letter of application
- Undergraduate and Graduate (if applicable) transcripts
- two letters of recommendation
- an interview
You must apply to our ATEP program using ATCAS (Click HERE
) and you must also apply to the NAU Graduate College (Click Here
To enter the Athletic Training Education Program, review of applications will begin on December 1, and end when we have a full class (approximately 60 students).
Pre-requisite courses that must be completed (or in progress) at the time of application to the program are:
- Introduction to Athletic Training (AT 200)
- Certified in CPR prior to August 1st
- Health Principles (HS 200)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II (BIO 201, 202, and associated labs)
- Introduction to Physics (PHY 111 and lab)
- Introduction to Psychology (PSY 101)
- Applied Statistics (STA 270)
- Human Nutrition (NTS 135 or higher)
- Exercise Physiology (BIO 338 and lab)
- Kinesiology (BIO 334)
Once admitted, you are required to:
- have a physical exam by a physician of your choice, including a TB skin test
- show proof of immunization for hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, and diphtheria
- attest that you meet the technical standards established by our program and by Northern Arizona University’s Disability Support Services
- obtain professional athletic training student liability insurance
Information and forms regarding these requirements may be found in the student handbook. When you are accepted to the program, you should obtain First Aid/CPR (Professional Rescuer) certification, and be prepared to show proof of current certification before you begin the program in the fall.
You must have a completed undergraduate degree to enter the Master's in Athletic Training program.