Peak Performance-Student Employment
Peak Performance Math Coaches
We have completed our recruitment for the Peak Performance Program for Summer 2017. If you have submitted an application, please check your NAU email for updates.
Information about the position:
This is a part-time online summer math tutoring position. You must be currently enrolled at NAU and have access to the internet and a computer for the summer of 2017.
Math Coaches must enroll in a spring 10-week training session scheduled during the Spring 2017 semester and begin working approximately June 1st, 2017 thru the middle of August, 2017. You are able to set your own hours and work from home, connecting with your assigned students, informing them about NAU resources and how to get involved, and helping them with any questions they have about their math assignments.
To be eligible to apply for this position:
- You must submit the online application
- Submit a professional reference from current NAU Math faculty
- Have a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Have completed MAT 121 or MAT 125 with an A or B from NAU, or equivalent transfer credit
- Be willing to work between 15-25 hours per week during the summer.
We especially encourage students with majors in the following areas to apply:
- Exercise Science majors
- All Engineering majors
- Mathematics and Statistics majors
- Biology majors
- Chemistry majors
- Computer Science majors
- Astronomy majors
- Psychology majors
- Business majors
Job responsibilities include:
- Provide individual tutoring in an on-line setting, through Collaborate, Skype, Google Hangouts, etc.
- Help students set achievable goals and motivate them to meet those goals.
- Attend weekly phone conference calls with team leaders.
- Communicate with your supervisor about any problems.
- Maintain accurate records of student contact.
- Submit timely payroll and student activity.
The Peak Performance Math Coach position has a starting salary of $9.00 per hour. Wages for 2nd or 3rd year returning coaches are higher. You must enroll in the spring training class; you will be given details of the class once you are invited to an interview. Attendance at 100% of the training class is mandatory for hiring. The training class is a USC 200 level class and is worth 1 credit, so be mindful of your course load when considering this position and its requirements.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Peak Performance Math Coach!!
How To Apply
In order to apply, you will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the online application on or before the final deadline on 11:59 pm MST on Sunday, October 30th, 2016. Applications submitted after that date will NOT be considered. If you are a returning coach wanting to re-apply, please complete this application instead.
- Please note that you must be logged into your NAU Gmail account in order to access this application.
- If you have a personal Gmail account, it may interfere with your NAU login. You may want to try using a different browser or a private/incognito window.
- If you have trouble completing the application, please contact us at PeakPerformance@nau.edu.
2. If you are selected for an interview, you will be required to bring a paper copy of your resume and a cover letter as your "ticket in." You may wish to begin preparing these materials in advance of scheduling an interview. If you need any assistance with this, please contact Career Services at Gateway.
3. You will need to contact one professional reference and ask them to complete our online recommendation form, available below.
- Your reference MUST be from a current NAU faculty member in the Math Department. If this presents a problem, please let us know via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The deadline to submit recommendations is 11:59 pm MST on Sunday, November 13th, 2016.
- When contacting your reference, please be sure to provide them with your NAU student email address (in the form email@example.com). They will need this information to complete your recommendation.
Online Recommendation Form - If a student has requested that you complete a Recommendation Form on their behalf, please select this link.
Preparing Your Application
We require all applicants to submit a resume, cover letter, and one academic or professional recommendation in order to be considered for positions with our department. Take a look at this list of resources related to the application process. We have recommend you look at this list of FAQ's for requesting a recommendation from your desired reference.