It’s all about the Math Placement score!
At Northern Arizona University, a student’s Math Placement determines what math classes they are eligible for.
Advice for Parents
Parents of Incoming Freshman and Transfer Students play an important part in the success of each student. You can best support your student by helping them to take responsibility for their own success. Encourage your student to contact their Peak Performance Math Coach for support and for NAU campus information.
Their Math Coach can help them feel more connected to campus and give them a sense of belonging. In addition to helping them with math content, our Math Coaches are role models who provide students with an opportunity to ask questions in a supportive setting.
Benefits of Peer Tutoring
According to the National Tutoring Association, research shows that some benefits to students from peer tutoring include:
- an improved attitude towards the subject and school in general
- opportunites for individualized instruction
- opportunities for questions and clarifications of difficult concepts
- improved self-esteem, as they become more successful students
How much does the Peak Performance Program Cost?
Nothing! It’s a free service to NAU incoming freshmen or transfer students.
Will my son or daughter receive college credit for this program?
No, your student will not earn any credits as a result of their participation in the Peak Performance program. However, if they perform well enough on the placement test offered at the end of the program, they can potentially save time and money by improving their starting position as they begin at NAU.
What if my son or daughter does not want to enroll in the program, is there another way for them to just retake the math placement exam?
Students do not need to enroll in the Peak Program to be eligible to retake the math placement exam. NAU students can take the NAU Math Placement Test a total of 3 times. Placement testing will be offered at the Lumberjack Mathematics Center for all students during the first week of school for the Fall 2016 term, as well as several dates during the summer. Learn more about testing dates, times and locations.
Awards and Recognition
- University Business magazine honored the Peak Performance program as one of eight recipients of its 2016 Models of Excellence award, which is a national recognition program honoring student success.
- Front page of the NAU News publication in April, 2016 — click here to see the full article.