- Screen saver logs you off after 15 minutes of "inactivity."
Workaround: Turn off logoff screen saver...
- Right click in the Desktop background
- Select Personalize
- Click on the Screen Saver button
- Choose any screen saver except "In Use"
- Classroom projector does not display desired computer output.
Workaround: Set the projector to RGB1 (rooms 017, 018, 034B) or Video (rooms 133, 135, 136). Hold down the Windows Key, select P (Connect to a Projector), and select "Duplicate". If using PowerPoint, please see the PowerPoint item in the following section.
- Windows "Packaged Apps" do not work well in a multiuser environment. It would appear that they are solely user based and solely computer based. That is, any user, including Forestry IT, cannot install a Packaged App for all users on a particular machine and a user cannot install a Packaged App that will work for them on other machines. For the most part, we have blocked all Package Apps except for those that by default come with the operating system.
Workaround: None at this time. This item is for informative purposes only.
- Windows Media Player does not play DVD's.
Workaround: Use Power DVD (classrooms) or VLC Media Player
- Adobe Photoshop reports the monitor profile appears to be defective.
Workaround: Choose Ignore Profile.
- When you start your PowerPoint slide show,
a) the monitor displays your slide as well as "Next slide" and "Notes" and
b) the projector displays only your slide
and this is not your desired method of presentation and/or the output displayed on the projector does not look correct.
Workaround: PowerPoint gives you two basic methods for presenting a slide show: 1) The slide show is displayed on both the projector and the computer monitor and 2) the slide show is displayed on the projector and presenter view is displayed on the computer monitor. If you are not witnessing the desired method, close PowerPoint and for
- Method 1: Hold down the Windows Key, select P, set the projector to Duplicate, open PowerPoint, and start your slide show.
- Method 2: Hold down the Windows Key, select P, set the projector to Extend, open PowerPoint, and start your slide show. (It would appear that for this method to display correctly the slide show must be formatted with the same aspect ratio as the monitor/projector and the projector aspect ratio should be set to Normal using the projector remote.)
- When you go the provided URL or click the Join Room button in Blackboard Collaborate you will be prompted to Open With or Save File. Neither works without a bit of additional steps. (If you are prompted to download the launcher, Do Not! Simply select Launch Blackboard Collaborate now to then view the Open With or Save File options.)
Note: You should only have to do all of this once.
- Select the Open With option
- Select Other... in the dropdown menu
- Click the Browse... button at the bottom left of the Choose Helper Application window
- Navigate to C:\AcadProg\Blackboard Collaborate Launcher folder
- Select Win32Launcher.exe
- Select Run at the Security Warning window
- Choose LAN for the Select Connection Speed option
PC Labs/Classrooms AND Research Labs
- The default path for Dropbox is set to
a location with very limited disk space.
Workaround: If you use Dropbox and the system informs you that "You have exceeded your roaming profile storage" remove files that are no longer necessary from C:\users\"UserName"\Dropbox (or simply move them to an area with more disk quota if they are needed).
- Attempting to open a Java Applet in a web browser results in an Application Blocked by Security Settings popup window or the Java Applet simply fails to run.
Workaround: If you trust this site, add it to Java's Exception Site List. For instructions please see the WORKAROUND section of Java's Why are Java applications blocked by your security settings with the latest Java? web page.
- The writers of Web Browsers seem to be surpassing those who write applications for Web Browsers.
Workaround: If a web applications does not behave as intended in a particular browser,
try a different one (IE / Firefox / Chrome). If you're using IE, you could also
try compatibility mode.
- Upon opening ERDAS Imagine, a License Expiration Information window opens.
Workaround: Check the "Don't warn me again about these licenses" box and click Continue... These are old licenses that have expired but we do have current licenses.
Students... out of disk space?
Step 1: Clear your Downloads folder and Recycle Bin
Delete files in your Downloads folder that are no longer needed. Then, after inspection, empty your Recycle Bin.
Step 2: Inspect your Dana drive
Most of your data is redirected to a folder on a campus server. This folder
is Z:\NTProfile for students. Every file you store in Documents and on the Desktop is actually
being stored on this campus server. Be sure to look through these areas, as well as the top level of your Z: drive, and remove
any unneeded files. If you are a declared Forestry major you should also have an X: drive to which you can move your data. If you still are having issues move on to Step 3.
Step 3: Call 928-523-9294
The Student Technology Center at 928-523-9294 will grant students a quota increase
up to 1GB with no questions asked. You can check your current quota level by opening
Computer, right clicking over your Z: drive, and selecting Properties (1000 MB =
1GB). If you are already at the maximum quota, you may still call the Student Technology Center and inquire about how you may obtain a further increase in quota, or ask if they can help in any way.