Our BSE program in Mechanical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
The vision of the Mechanical Engineering department at Northern Arizona University is to be recognized as an outstanding Mechanical Engineering program in undergraduate and graduate-level education, and in faculty scholarship in focused areas of expertise.
The mission of the mechanical engineering department is to serve our students by offering an outstanding, professionally oriented undergraduate and graduate engineering education in a personalized environment.
We will achieve our mission through offering a rich learning environment, including:
• innovative and challenging curricula;
• excellent instruction;
• professional practice opportunities;
• research opportunities for undergraduates and graduate students;
• active student societies; and
• meaningful faculty advising and mentoring.
Our faculty, who serve as models of engineering professionals, will be intellectually active in applied research and professional activities that serve the technical needs of society and also benefit the education of our students. Our graduates will be prepared for engineering practice, advanced education, and leadership in the technical community and society at large.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the time of graduation, our students will have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired
needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social,
political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering
solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to, engage in life-long
- A knowledge of contemporary issues.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and
modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
Within 3-5 years after graduation, our mechanical engineering alumni will have:
applied their engineering knowledge in practice or in graduate school.
applied their knowledge of engineering principles in a variety of mechanical
engineering applications and thus are competitive in the professional market.
- Demonstrated an
understanding of ethical and professional responsibilities.
continued the process of lifelong learning.
- Demonstrated the essential technical and
communication skills necessary to assume leadership roles in the engineering