Each semester our program sponsors a weekly event we call “Contractor Night”. Contractor Night is an interesting way of connecting construction and engineering companies with potential employees, and it also provides a way for professionals to share their expertise with our students. During the Contractor Night session, we invite all of our CM & Civil and Environmental Engineering students to attend a professional presentation about your company. Typically 40 -50 students attend.
Note: Since the number of sessions is limited, priority scheduling is given to sponsors of the program. Click here for more information on sponsorship. (Additional opportunities to connect with NAU CM students can be found on the College Recruitment site)
As part of the opportunity, we ask that the presenting contractors provide food and drinks for our students. To make things easier, our student organization (CMO) handles all of the food and beverage arrangements and then provide your firm with an invoice when you arrive. Typically around $300. Contact us if you have special requests
For Contractor Night, we ask your firm to make a focused presentation on a cutting edge project or process. These presentations are a great opportunity for you to share your expertise with our students and also show your firm’s unique approach to construction. We provide you with a topic in advance that is synchronized with some of the things we are exploring in our classes. We suggest that you incorporate interactive activities in your presentations and keep 'canned' presentations short. Allow ample time for Q&A. We have advanced AV system for your presentations.
- Using BIM to improve field coordination
- Using the project schedule to predict time and cost
- Overview of company structure showing where field ops fits
in various delivery methods and the composition of the project team with their
- Preconstruction planning for constructibility
- Job start-up/mobilization activities
- Meetings related to field operations including how to run
- Site design/layout and control
- Managing material delivery, storage, and site security
- Quality control
- Managing RFI’s, and change orders
- Purchasing – major and local purchase orders
- Project monitoring, control documents, productivity improvement
- Scheduling methods for the site, and strategies for job
acceleration and schedule maintenance
- Records/reports (ie. daily, incidence, production, MSDS,
equipment utilization, safety, etc.)
- Computer applications on the project
- Sub-contractor management
- Labor relations, crisis management, TQM/Partnering, and
- Project closeout
Contractor night is scheduled on Thursday evenings from 5:00 PM until 6:30 PM (4:45 - 5:30 informal meet & greet in 3rd floor lobby; 5:30 - 6:30 presentations in room 101). Most companies take resumes from interested students during the event. We can arrange interview rooms for the following Friday morning. This allows contracting firms to connect with students in an informal setting, and then conduct more focused interviews with potential candidates in a timely manner. See right side-bar for current schedule
Contractor Night is held at the NAU Engineering Facility on South Campus.
Building 69 - 3rd floor lobby & Room 101
2112 S. Huffer Ln.
Parking passes can be purchased for $7 (or $1.50/hr) at the parking kiosk on the southeast corner of McConnell Drive and Pine Knoll Drive. Please park in the commuter lot (P62) off of Pine Knoll Drive, west of the Engineering building. (Parking is free after 4:30 pm in this lot.)
For more information please contact Professor John Tingerthal (928-523-5217)