Scholarships and internships
CENE policy on internships
An internship is an intensive individualized experience with an employer. CENE permits up to 3 credits (CENE 497) for a qualified internship; this course qualifies as a CENE Technical Elective. Normally, these are over the summer. Tuition is paid, and you must set up the internship with the department Chair by May 1. Criteria:
- Work must be commensurate with 400-level complexity
- Your supervisor must agree to evaluate you and approve your weekly reports and other submittals
- Tasks and deliverables are pre-defined
- Letter grade only
Contact Dr. Bero
for more information.
You only need to fill out one application for all scholarships you are applying for. Deadlines vary but end March is a good bet. Scholarships are awarded in late Spring semester for the following academic year. You should also apply for all general engineering scholarships you are eligible for.
Dwight D. Eisenhower MIHE Transportation Fellowship Program
The Dwight D. Eisenhower Transportation Fellowship Program (DDETFP) provides funding for NAU American Native students and Hispanic students in the pursuit of a Degree (Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate) in transportation related fields at NAU.
Jon and Christine Bourgeois Scholarship
- Full-time undergraduate majoring in Civil Engineering or Construction Management
- Must be a sophomore, junior, or senior; and
- Must demonstrate financial need.
Shelton Hannig Civil Engineering Scholarship
- Full-time student with a declared major in Civil Engineering
- Junior status
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or able
- U.S. Citizen
- Other accomplishments considered: leadership qualities, involvement in activities outside class
Structural Engineering Association of Arizona
- Full-time junior or senior student majoring in Civil Engineering with a structural emphasis
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Preferred AZ resident
- Preferred membership in ASCE or SEA of Arizona
Richard E. Boehl Memorial Scholarship
- Recipients must be of junior or senior class standing with a declared major in the academic discipline of Civil Engineering
- Full-time undergraduate student.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Must be an independent, self-supporting student.
American Concrete Institute / American Society of Civil Engineers Scholarship / Arizona Society of Civil Engineers Scholarship
- Civil or Environmental Engineering student who has completed the freshman classes in their program.
- 2.75 GPA
- Full-time student
- U.S. Citizen
Virgil Masayesva Education Fund
- Scholarships for students pursuing environmental careers
- Preference given to Native American students
- Sophomore status or above
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
Arizona Engineering Company Scholarship
- Junior majoring in civil engineering.
- U.S. citizen. Preference will be given to Arizona residents
- Cumulative a 3.0 GPA.
- The student must have demonstrated an interest in consulting engineering, by employment or other closely related activities, prior to applying for this scholarship
- Other accomplishments may be considered in the selection process, such as: leadership qualities and involvement in extracurricular activities, particularly activities which demonstrate an understanding of the social responsibilities inherent in the engineering profession
Clayton & Rose Chance Scholarship
- U.S. citizens who are enrolled in their sophomore year
- Continuing on to their junior year in civil, electrical or mechanical engineering
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
The Beavers Charitable Trust
- U. S. citizen
- Junior or senior or master's student in civil engineering or construction managementwith an interest in heavy civil
- Written paper outlining reasons for choosing a career in the heavy construction industry
- Commitment to pursue part-time or summer employment in the heavy construction industry while in school
- Financial need
Kinney Construction Services Award
- A declared Construction Management, Civil Engineering or Environmental Engineering Major (order of preference)
- Sophomore, junior or senior year at Northern Arizona University
- Independent of financial assistance from a parent or guardian
- Currently working to support themselves