Bachelor of Music Education (BMEd): Choral or Instrumental
The BMEd will prepare you for a secondary education certificate with a K-12 endorsement in music.
For this degree, you choose between two tracks:
- choral music education
- instrumental music education
Declaring a music major
To declare a music major, you must:
- be accepted to the university
- apply and be accepted to the School of Music
- take a music theory placement exam
The NAU academic catalog
is the official, authoritative source for all academic requirements and
policies. Any discrepancies in curricular requirements from other
sources will default to the catalog as the official, authoritative
Progression Plan (Bachelor of Music Education - Choral Emphasis)
Progression Plan (Bachelor of Music Education - Instrumental Emphasis)
- You should see an academic adviser at least once a semester to confirm your academic progress.
- You should also receive advisement from the College of Education for the teacher-preparation part of your academic plan.
- Please note that this plan takes five years (ten semesters) to complete.
Requirements to receive the degree
- cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher
- a C or better in all music courses required for the major
- completion of at least 130 total credit hours/units
- 35 units of liberal studies requirements
- 6 units of diversity courses
- 30 units of upper division courses (300-400 level)
- 18 of these units must be taken at NAU
- 73 units of major requirements
- 22 units of teacher-preparation requirements