Master of Music in Theory
Students completing this sub plan will:
- identify and classify various musical genres, including small and large forms, and featuring diverse aesthetic approaches
- demonstrate proficiency in analyzing tonal and post-tonal music
- acquire a knowledge of music theory pedagogy
- acquire a knowledge of scholarly publications in music theory
- determine and demonstrate advanced analytical writing skills
- develop and produce a substantial independent research project that makes an original contribution to the field
Apply to the Graduate College
In addition to materials requested on the on-line application, prospective Theory students are required to submit an analytical paper that demonstrates strong writing skills and analytical insight. This paper should be from the past three years, preferably from your undergraduate music program. Detailed instructions for the additional materials are included in the online application. Please begin the application process and contact the Area Coordinator for your specific sub-plan if you have questions.
If you need additional help, you may contact the Associate Director for Graduate Studies.