Master of Music: Suzuki Violin/Viola
Students completing this sub plan will:
- examine and utilize the Suzuki philosophy and describe the principles in teaching beginning strings.
- demonstrate knowledge of presenting and utilizing the Suzuki philosophy with a community population and foundation skills of string technique in a class and individual instruction setting
- describe the characteristics of the Suzuki philosophy and principles in teaching beginning strings
- Acquire an understanding of child development in relation to teaching young string students and a knowledge on parent involvement and education in the music education setting
- demonstrate foundation skills of string technique in a class and individual instruction setting and teaching musicality to a student string player at all levels of Suzuki repertoire.
- demonstrate alternative styles for teaching string technique using the Suzuki repertoire for varying levels of student development and musical preparation.
Apply to the Graduate College
In addition to materials requested on the on-line application, prospective Suzuki students must submit a 10-minute DVD recording performing two contrasting works that demonstrate tone, technique, musicianship and a level of advancement performing scales and arpeggios.
DVD should be sent to:
Suzuki Area Coordinator
Northern Arizona University
School of Music
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6040
If you need additional help, you may contact the Associate Director for Graduate Studies.