Master of Music in Choral Conducting
The Master of Music in Choral Conducting has achieved a national reputation for instructional excellence and unsurpassed conducting opportunities.
- Extensive podium time conducting university choral ensembles.
- A comprehensive choral literature sequence prepares students who wish to pursue doctoral studies.
- Hands-on experience coordinating the largest choral festival in the Southwest.
- Major choral/orchestral works prepared and performed each spring with a regional orchestra.
- University chamber choir is provided for all graduate lecture recitals.
- Opportunity to study orchestral conducting, private voice, and vocal pedagogy.
- International concert tours with the Shrine of the Ages Choir (every three years).
Additional Application Requirements
In addition to materials requested on the on-line application, prospective choral conducting students are required to send a video recording that includes a 25-minute rehearsal featuring a choir they are currently conducting. The recording should include warm-up exercises at the beginning of the rehearsal and portions of two selections. (Students have the option to also send a video demonstrating their conducting in a choral performance.)
Video recordings (disks or links to online files) should be sent to:
Director of Choral Studies
Northern Arizona University
School of Music
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6040
Detailed instructions for the additional materials and the video disk/file submission are included in the online application. Please begin the application process and contact the Director of Choral Studies if you have questions.
Dr. Edith Copley, Director of Choral Studies
Dr. Ryan Holder