Voice audition repertoire
Audition requirements for choral music education and vocal performance.
Undergraduate Degree Program audition requirements (BMUS, BMED, BA degrees)
- Prepare two contrasting classical vocal solos. One should be in a foreign language. Both selections should be memorized. Pieces selected should be classical, no musical theatre or pop.
- The audition will include at least two sight-singing examples and a series of tonal memory exercises.
- An audition on the Flagstaff campus is required; an accompanist will be provided for you.
Graduate Degree Program audition requirements (Master of Music, Performance Certificate degrees only)
By December 1, all applicants in voice must submit a preliminary audition recording (DVD is required) with the application.
- 30 minute DVD recording of your singing with representation from contrasting styles, including opera, oratorio, and art song.
- There must be at least one piece composed since 1950 and include selections in German, French, Italian and English; other foreign languages are optional.
Mail your DVD to:
Dr. Judith Cloud
NAU Box 6040
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6040
- After reviewing application materials, if you are invited to NAU for an on-campus audition, you will be notified of specific pieces from your audition DVD that you will perform at your on-campus audition.
- You may also be asked to demonstrate sight-singing and ear-retention skills as well as basic piano skills.
Joelle Johnson, Choral Studies
Office: Building 37, Room 127C