Trumpet audition repertoire
Undergraduate audition requirements
- a lyrical section and a technical section from a representative solo (no accompaniment necessary)
- prepare all major scales (two octaves where possible) and select two minor scales to prepare in natural, harmonic and melodic forms
- sight reading
Examples of solos:
- Characteristic Studies by Arban
- Concerto by Arutunian
- Fantasia in Bb by Barat
- Petit Piece Concertante by Balay
- Concert Etude by Goetlike
- Concerto in Eb by Haydn
- Sonata by Hindemith
Graduate audition requirements
In addition to the undergraduate requirements, candidates for the graduate degree must prepare the following orchestral excerpts:
- Mussorgsky/Ravel—Pictures at an Exhibition (Promenade)
- Mahler—Symphony #5 (beginning through m. 25)
- Stravinsky—Petroushka (Ballerina’s Dance)
- The first half of the audition will consist of playing your prepared selections.
- The second half is a mini-lesson with Dr. Dunn during which students will receive suggestions on their playing.
- Part of the entrance requirement is to be receptive to suggestions and interested in improvement.
- Auditions may last anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes.
Trumpet studio website
Visit the trumpet studio website for more information about the program.
Stephen Dunn, Trumpet
Office: Bldg. 37, Room 142