Acceptance into the School of Music
Undergraduate acceptance In order to join the School of Music, you need to be admitted to the university and accepted to the School of Music—which requires an audition.
To be accepted to the School of Music as a music major, minor, or private student, you must:
- Apply and be unconditionally accepted to Northern Arizona University.
- Submit a School of Music application. You may complete the form online or print/mail a paper application.
- Arrange for an audition for your principal instrument and/or voice on one of the dates listed below.
- Take the required music theory placement examination and piano placement interview during your orientation to the university.
It’s important to plan ahead for the audition process —you may need to arrange an audition several months in advance of enrolling at the university.
Auditions to be accepted for the 2013-2014 academic year (you would attend NAU beginning in August 2013) have been scheduled.
If you cannot attend any of the scheduled audition dates, you may still be able to arrange a private audition.
Required placement exam
If you are admitted to the university and accepted into the School of Music, you will be required to take a music theory placement examination and piano placement interview during your orientation to the university.
Based on your exam score, you will either enroll in:
- MUS 120 (Theory Preparation)
- MUS 121 (Music Theory I)
- MUS 131 (Aural Skills)
If you need to brush up on your music theory before the exam, our music theory faculty have prepared a helpful guide.