Study Abroad in Costa Rica
The Department of Global Languages and Cultures announces the Lamm Scholarship, which assists students with the tuition costs to Study Abroad in Costa Rica (< click on link for program information) during the Spring 2016 term. $1,000 will be awarded to two qualified students and applied toward their tuition in PeopleSoft (LOUIE):
These funds shall be used as a scholarship by an undergraduate student to study abroad in Costa Rica with the following criteria:
- Undergraduate in good standing enrolled full time at Northern Arizona University;
- Financial Need (verified through NAU financial aid – students must have submitted FAFSA applications);
- Seriousness of student to apply him/herself to studies while in Costa Rica as determined by faculty knowledge of students and their recommendations as well as their required essays;
- Submission of a 500 word essay outlining why he/she wishes to study abroad and why he/she is deserving of the award.; and
- The Founders shall have the opportunity to meet the award recipients after selection.
Preference shall be given to students who have not previously received this scholarship. Scholarship recipients shall be selected by the Latin American Studies Scholarship Committee, as designated by the Dean of the College of Arts & Letters, and in coordination with the NAU Office of Student Financial Aid. The annual scholarship award will be disbursed through the NAU LOUIE system for the semester during which the student studies abroad through an NAU program. Preference may be given to students who are acquiring a Latin American Studies minor.
Submit the application form and the required attachments at Babbitt Academic Annex (Bldg 23) Room 108, unless you are currently studying abroad; in which case, email the application with all attachments in a single email to Alexandria.McConocha@nau.edu (please, the email option is only for those who are currently studying abroad). Click on this link to download the application form: Lamm Scholarship Application, Spring 2016 Award.
Kenneth and Dorothy Lamm
This Fund is established by Kenneth and Dorothy Lamm (Founders) who believe deeply that study and travel outside the U.S. provides students with experiences that will affect their lives and careers for many years to come. They believe it is important for our future leaders to have a broad view of the world that only comes from experiencing other cultures and languages. The Lamms, originally from Wisconsin, moved to Flagstaff in 2004 to make their home and enjoy the vibrant, active and intellectual community made possible, in part, by Northern Arizona University. As a young woman, Dorothy Lamm studied in Mexico City and that experience had a profound impact on her life. Later as a teacher she went on to take students on trips to Mexico.