If you are already proficient in a language, consider testing out of your lower-level courses by taking a College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) Test or a Challenge Exam.
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Students throughout the University may take a CLEP or Challenge exam. CLEP exams are standard exams for French, German and Spanish 101, 102, 201 and 202. Students who have graduated from a high school where the primary language of instruction was in English (see NAU Policy 200110) may take the exam instead of registering for and attending an actual class. Students who pass the CLEP/Challenge exams are given credit only for the course(s) that are covered by the exam. Since these exams carry no letter grade, the student's GPA will not be affected. CLEP exams are administered by W. A. Franke College of Business.
See the university policies and equivalency scores for CLEP.
To learn how, when, and where to take a CLEP test, visit the W.A. Franke College of Business’s Testing Center website.
If a CLEP test in not offered for the language you wish to receive credits, you should then consider our retrocredits or challenge exam process.
The retrocredits process allows you to receive credit for NAU Language courses by passing a higher language course with a grade of B or better. The process, policies, and application procedures are described here. HARD COPY APPLICATIONS ARE REQUIRED before the deadline (see the link for details). Go to the Placement Exams link and READ the directions very carefully for information on how to enroll in a class that has a pre-requisite.
Here is some basic information to get you started:
- Currently enrolled NAU students may take Challenge Exams for credit.
- Challenge Exams are locally prepared by NAU faculty.
- Students must have met the pre-requisites for the Challenge Exams they wish to take and/or stipulate they wish to take the exam to show proficiency per their degree requirements.
- Challenge Exams cost $30 per unit (101-202 classes are 4 units so $120 for each Exam / 300 level and above are usually 3 units so they would run $90 for each Exam).
- You must review the Credit by Exam Policies before taking an exam.
Challenge Exams Available: (please review current catalog for descriptions of courses offered or contact the name provided for specific EXAM questions. Note: Some of the Challenge Exams are in languages not currently offered as courses at NAU. Procedure questions should be directed to Alexandria McConocha.)
- Chinese 101, 102, 201, and 202 (Xiaoyi Liu / 523-0631)
- French 303W and 304W (Professor Patricia Frederick / 523-9437)
- German 303, 304 (Third Year) and 403, 404 (Fourth Year) (Professor Marilya Veteto Reese / 523-9638)
- Italian 399 (Alexandria McConocha / 523-6237)
- Japanese 101, 102, 201, 202, 399 (Third Year), and 499 (Fourth Year) (Chie Okubo / 523-8957)
- Korean 101, 102, 201, 202, 303, and 304 (Professor Chunhye Kim Lee / 523-6165)
- Navajo 101, 102, 201, 202, 303, 304, and 311 (Professor Evangeline Parsons Yazzie / 523-6234)
- Portuguese 101 and 102 (Professor Joseph Collentine / 523-7791)
- Russian 101, 102, 201, and 202 (Alexandria McConocha / 523-6237)
- Spanish 303, 304, and 404 (Professor Joseph Collentine / 523-7791)
- Swedish 303, 304 (Third Year) and 403, 404 (Fourth Year) (Professor Marilya Veteto Reese / 523-9638)
Go to Credit by Exam Policies to Proceed