Spanish Immersion Program
Spanish immersion Program
Is Spanish in your future?
Do you want a major or minor in Spanish?
Do you want to save yourself a whole semester of language study?
The Spanish Immersion Program will do that for you!
Immerse yourself in the language and experience the culture.
You can earn 8 credits in one semester:
- SPA 221, the equivalent of SPA 201
- SPA 222, the equivalent of SPA 202
The Immersion Program concentrates on the acquisition of oral proficiency skills as well as writing skills. Although there is an emphasis on oral communication first, and then reading and writing, listening and cultural information are also incorporated into the program. The immersion program is an active learning process that requires the concentrated participation of the student. A higher level of language proficiency is achieved than is normally possible in a more traditional classroom.
Because of the intensive nature of the program, we have established the following minimum admission pre-requisites.
- You must have a 2.7 grade point average.
- You must have taken SPA 102 in college and have earned a B or better grade.
The semester's activities are conducted in the following fashion:
- Spanish is the language of instruction.
- Students are divided into small groups; this allows for active participation by the students.
- The daily schedule includes varied language instruction, activities, movies, laboratory instruction, etc.
- Several teaching assistants (conversantes) assist in the teaching of the small groups.
How to apply
To apply for admittance to this program, do the following:
- Download and complete the Spanish immersion application form.
- Have the coordinator of the Spanish Immersion Program, Daniel "Roberto" Serpas, sign your completed application form.
- After Daniel Serpas has signed your application form, you must pay the $50 application fee. Do not pay this fee unless you have had your application form signed! Link here to make your payment Spanish Immersion Program Application Fee and then print your receipt.
- You must submit the fully executed application form with the receipt attached to the Modern Languages Department Administrative Associate, Alexandria McConocha, in Babbitt Academic Annex (Bldg 23), Room 108 before you enroll.
- Finally, contact Daniel Serpas for the appropriate permission numbers needed for enrollment. Enrollment in other courses during the semester is permitted only if Financial Aid issues are at play. Please speak with Mr. Serpas if you plan to take any other courses while participating in S.I.P. Special enrollment processes will be necessary.
The weekly schedule is as follows:
- 08:00-08:50 Grammar presentation/entire group
- 09:10-10:00 Grammar presentation/entire group
- 10:20-11:10 Drills, dialogues, exercises/3 small groups
- 8:30-11:00 oral and written exams
The program significantly enhances the linguistic and cultural island in which you are learning and improving and will take you to higher levels of language learning than you would otherwise achieve. By the time you complete the program, you will be able to take upper division courses either at NAU, or abroad.
The Summer Spanish Immersion Program
NAU also offers a Summer Spanish Immersion Program for 12 credit hours (SPA 102 thru SPA 202). It is a 10 week program and follows exactly the same schedule and protocol as the Spring Semester Program, thus, attendance is mandatory.
For more information contact Daniel "Roberto" Serpas Daniel.Serpas@nau.edu, Program Coordinator (928) 523-7633.