Soo Jung Youn
Blg 23 Rm #314
Northern Arizona University
Soo Jung Youn, Ph.D. (University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, 2013)
Assistant Professor, Applied Linguistics
Ph.D., 2013, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- L2 Assessment, L2 Pragmatics, Task-based Language Teaching, Quantitative Research Methods
- Youn, S. J. (2014). Measuring syntactic complexity in L2 pragmatic production: Investigating relationships among pragmatics, grammar, and proficiency. System, 42, 270-287.
- Youn, S. J., & Brown, J. D. (2013). Item difficulty and heritage language learner status in pragmatic tests for Korean as a foreign language. In S. Ross & G. Kasper (Eds.), Assessing second language pragmatics (pp. 98–123). Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Youn, S. J., & Schmidgall, J. (2012). A literature review of current trends in testing speaking proficiency. Final report submitted to Educational Testing Service.
- Schmidgall, J., & Youn, S. J. (2012). A literature review of current trends in testing listening proficiency. Final report submitted to Educational Testing Service.
- Youn, S. J. (2007). Rater bias in assessing pragmatics of KFL learners using FACETS analysis. Second Language Studies, 26, 85–163.
- Youn, S. J. (2013, July). Validating task-based assessment of L2 pragmatics in interaction using mixed methods, Paper presented at the Language Testing Research Colloquium (LTRC), Seoul, Korea. (received ILTA Student Travel Award)
- Youn, S. J. (2012, October). Validating conversation analysis (CA)-informed rating criteria for assessing L2 pragmatics in interaction, Paper presented at the Second Language Research Forum (SLRF), Pittsburgh, PA.
- Youn, S. J. (2011, October). Investigating measurement invariance of academic listening test using IRT and SEM approaches, Paper presented at the Second Language Research Forum, Ames, IA.
- Youn, S. J. (2010, October). From needs analysis to assessment: Task-based pragmatics in an English for Academic Purposes setting, Paper presented at the Second Language Research Forum, College Park, MD.
- Youn, S. J. (2010, March). Syntactic complexity measures of interlanguage pragmatic production, Paper presented at the conference of the American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), Atlanta, GA.
- Youn, S. J. (2009, October). Pragmatics as a language-related episode in the zone of proximal development: A CA approach, Paper presented at the Second Language Research Forum, East Lansing, MI.
- Youn, S. J. (2009, September). Developing a task-based EAP pragmatics, Paper presented at the International Conference on Task-based Language Teaching, Lancaster, UK.
- Youn, S. J. (2008, July). Rater variation in paper vs. web-based KFL pragmatic assessment using FACETS analysis, Paper presented at the Language Testing Research Colloquium, Hangzhou, China.
- Small Grant for Doctoral Research in Second or Foreign Language Assessment (2012). Educational Testing Service (ETS), Princeton, New Jersey
- Language Learning Dissertation Grant (2011), Language Learning, Wiley-Blackwell