Blg 23 Rm #325
Northern Arizona University
Julieta Fernandez, Ph.D. (The Pennsylvania State University, 2013)
Assistant Professor, Applied Linguistics
- Ph.D., 2013, The Pennsylvania State University (Applied Linguistics)
- M.A., 2007, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Teaching English as a Second Language)
Articles and book chapters
- Fernández, J. (2013). A corpus-based study of vague language use by learners of Spanish in a study abroad context. In C. Kinginger. (Ed.), Social and cultural aspects of language learning in study abroad (299-332). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Yuldashev, A., Fernández, J., & Thorne, S. L. (2013). Second Language Learners’ Contiguous and Discontiguous Multi-Word Unit Use Over Time. The Modern Language Journal, 97(s1), pp. 31-45.
- Fernández, J., & Yuldashev, A. (2011). Variation in the use of general extenders and stuff in instant messaging interactions. Journal of Pragmatics, 43, 2610-2626.
Selected Recent Presentations
- Fernández, J. (March 2013). Language Learning in Study Abroad: Vague and Informal Vocabulary Use in L2 Argentine Spanish. Paper presented at the annual conference of the American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), Dallas, TX.
- Fernández, J. & Doran, M. (October 2011). Reconceptualizing the construal of L2 oral fluency in SLA research. Paper presented at the Second Language Research Forum (SLRF), Ames, IA.
- Fernández, J. & Yuldashev, A. (April 2011). Vague Multi-Word Units in Spoken Spanish. Paper presented at the 2011 Symposium on Exploring the Boundaries and Applications of Corpus Linguistics, Tuscaloosa, AL.
- Yuldashev, A., Fernández, J. & Thorne, S.L. (March 2011). Multi-Word Units in Charting Language Development and Tracking Language Use. Paper presented at the annual conference of the American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), Chicago, IL.
- Fernández, J. & Yuldashev, A. (June 2010). Patterns of Vague Language Use in Synchronous Computer-Mediated Communication. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO), Amherst, MA.
- Fernández, J. & Yuldashev, A. (July 2009). The use of vague formulaic language by native and non-native speakers of English in synchronous one-on-one CMC. Paper presented at the Fifth Corpus Linguistics Conference (CL2009), Liverpool, UK.