Blg 23 Rm #320
Northern Arizona University
Joan Jamieson, Ph.D. (University of Illinois, Urbana, 1986)
Professor, Applied Linguistics
- Testing in second language classrooms
- Computerized ELL assessment
- Ph.D. in Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education, 1986. University of Illinois, Urbana.
- M.A. in Linguistics, 1977. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
- B.A. in English, 1975. University of Dayton, Dayton, OH
- Professor, Department of English, Northern Arizona University, 1999-present
- Fulbright Senior Specialist, Education: Educational Assessment, Evaluation, Research, 2006-2011
- Visiting Scholar, Dep't. of Psychological and Quantitative Foundations, University of Iowa, 2002 - 2003.
- Visiting Scholar, Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ, 1995-1996
- Recent Publications / Computerized Assessments
- Jamieson, J., & McDonough, K. (Eds). Forthcoming. Quantitative and mixed-methods section (56 entries). In C. Chapelle (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. London: Blackwell.
- Jamieson, J. 2011. Achievement testing. In E. Hinkel, (Ed.), Handbook of research in second language learning and teaching. New York: Routledge/Taylor and Francis Group.
- Jamieson, J., & Chapelle, C. 2010. Evaluating CALL use across multiple contexts System, 38, 357-369.
- Chapelle, C., Enright, M., & Jamieson, J. 2010. Does an argument-based approach to validity make a difference? Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice, 29, 1, 3-13.
- Chapelle, C., Enright, M., & Jamieson, J. (Eds.) 2008. Building a validity argument for TOEFL. New York: Routledge/Taylor and Francis Group.
- Chapelle, C., & Jamieson, J. 2008. Tips for teachers: Computer-assisted language learning. New York: Pearson Longman.
- Jamieson, J., and Chapelle, C. 2002. Longman English Assessment. NY: Pearson Education. Available on-line: http://www.pearsonlongman.com/ae/multimedia/assess.htm
- Jamieson, J., Chapelle, C., Grant, L., Acension, Y., and Garcia, P. 2002. Longman English Interactive Assessments. NY: Pearson Education. Available on-line: http://www.pearsonlongman.com/ae/multimedia/programs/lei.htm
- Jamieson, J., Church, J., & Laird, J. 2011. Issues developing a semi-adaptive English placement test. Midwest Association of Language Testers, Ames, IA.
- Jamieson, J., & Poonpon, K. 2010. “Rating guide development for speaking's dimensions: Delivery, language use, topic development.” Poster session, Language Testing Research Colloquium, Cambridge, UK.
- Jamieson, J. 2009. “What makes a test academic? How TOEFL stacks up.” TESOL, Denver, CO.
- Poonpon, K., & Jamieson, J. 2009. “Using qualitative and qualitative analyses to refine TOEFL iBT’s integrated speaking scoring rubric.” AAAL, Denver, CO.
- Jamieson, J. 2008. “Integrating CALL into the Curriculum.” MICELT, Sengalor, Malaysia.
- Jamieson, J., Grgurovic, M., & Becker, T. 2007. “Using diagnostic information to adapt traditional textbook-based instruction.” Technology in Second Language Learning Conference, Ames, IA.
- Jamieson, J. 2006. “Research on Computer–Assisted Language Learning: Will You Help?” University of Southern Denmark
- Jamieson, J., Keck, C., Vasquez, C., & Komiyama, R. 2005. “Developing scholar-teachers in applied linguistics doctoral education.” AILA, Madison, WI.