How to apply: MFA in creative writing
Application materials and checklist
Listed below are the application materials that need to be
There are three sections to the application process; only
the graduate school section and the Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing sections are required. The third section, the graduate assistantship application, details
information for those who wish to pursue a graduate assistantship.
school application (required)
Once you have created an online account with the Gradate
College, the online application system will ask you for the following:
- TOEFL score (international students)
- statement of purpose discussing your interest in
graduate study in creative writing (1-2 pages)
- a 10-20 page manuscript of original poetry,
nonfiction or fiction (Note: Applicants can apply in fiction, nonfiction and
poetry, but need to include a 10-20 page manuscript for each genre.)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
Section three: Graduate
Teaching Assistantship Application
- Statement for Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- In this statement, please describe any relevant experience to teaching writing composition. The Writing Program does consider GTA applicants with little or no formal teaching experience. However, in your GTA Statement, you should translate your previous experience into practical teaching knowledge. Please demonstrate your commitment and interest in teaching composition as specifically and concretely as possible. Clarify what you can bring to the classroom and to the composition program. Creative writing students generally do well in the selection process but only when they emphasize their enthusiasm and ability to teach.
- copies of transcripts
- three letters of recommendation referencing your teaching/work
- If you use the same letters as above, please ask your letter-writers to address your teaching skills or potential.
Applications are reviewed year round for program admission;
however, there are application deadlines for each semester:
- fall - February 1, to be considered for a graduate assistantship or tuition waiver. Applications will be reviewed after that deadline if space is available.
- spring - November 15