ASC

 ASC Days 

From 1945-65 we were known as Arizona State College (ASC). Browse a document called “Timber” from 1946 in which alumni ask for help to build a memorial student union building dedicated to “the boys who died in service,” that would become the North Union (which is now home to 1899 Bar & Grill) and Prochnow Auditorium. It opened in the 1951-52 school year. Enjoy these moments from our ASC days...

 

1942 dance 

1942 Dance at Ashurst. Credit: Northern Arizona University Archives/Cline Library

 

1946 cheerleaders 

1946 - Cheerleaders at football game. Credit: Northern Arizona University Archives/Cline Library

 

1946 bball 

1946 – Men’s basketball game. Credit: Northern Arizona University Archives/Cline Library

 

ardrey 1947 

Dr. Eldon Ardrey - 1st dean of college of creative arts at ASC, 1947. Credit: Northern Arizona University Archives/Cline Library

 

ski club 

1947- ASC ski club photo with student on skis and Mike the dog.

 

1948 homecoming 

1948- Homecoming parade. Credit: Northern Arizona University Archives/Cline Library

 

The Atmospheric Research Observatory was built in the early 1950s to house the world's first infrared telescope, created by NAU professor Arthur Adel.  The telescope was successfully used for more than two decades to make important discoveries in astronomy. Learn more about Adel and his discoveries HERE. Students and faculty are now using the NAU Observatory to advance the science of astronomy once again. Free public viewings take place every clear Friday night from 7:30-10pm during the academic year. More info HERE.

1952 observatory 

1952 - Atmospheric Research Observatory under construction with Dr. Adel on the ladder. Credit: Northern Arizona University Archives/Cline Library

 

1956 view 

1956 -View of football field looking southwest to Riordan Mansion.  Credit: Northern Arizona University Archives/Cline Library

In 1957, Lumberjack Stadium is physically moved from Skidmore Field (where the Science Buildings are located) to its existing location. In 1960, the first football game took place in Lumberjack Stadium. The score: ASC 47, Fort Huachuca Army Base 0. Go Jacks!


 

Read more...