Graduate degrees and programs

  Student Hiking 2 

Open enrollment graduate courses

View the open enrollment graduate courses for Fall 2016.

Browse our programs―A to Z 

Quickly browse our program listing to find the program that interests you. Select a degree type below to learn more about the program from the department.

Master and Doctoral Programs
Graduate Certificates  

What is the difference between a Master's Degree and a Graduate Certificate?

A Master's degree is an academic degree granted to students who have undergone study demonstrating a mastery or high-order overview of a specific field of study or are of professional practice.  Within the area studied, graduates will develop advanced knowledge of a specialized body of theoretical and applied topics, analytical and critical thinking skills or professional application, and the ability to solve problems and think independently.  Master's degrees typically involve 30 hours or more of graduate coursework.

A Graduate Certificate is a degree program designed to provide students with specialized knowledge in a particular discipline, teach them about new developments in their fields, and provide specialized training to enhance professional skills.  Graduate Certificates typically involve 12 to 18 hours of graduate coursework.

Search for a program  

Search our programs and see an overview of the programs that interest you and review program requirements.

Programs of Study

See details on a program's coursework and credit hour requirements in its program of study.

Special programs

Accelerated Programs

Accelerated bachelor and master’s degree programs provide the opportunity for outstanding NAU undergraduates working on completing their bachelor’s degree to simultaneously begin work on a master’s degree.

Professional Science Master’s Programs 

PSM programs are innovative, interdisciplinary graduate degree programs that allow students to receive advanced training in math or science, while developing business and professional skills to meet the need for applied scientists, engineers, and mathematicians in industry and government.   

Western Regional Graduate Program

Through the WRGP, funding is available for certain out-of-state students, in certain fields, to earn their degree at the cost of in-state tuition.

Graduate Study Abroad

NAU graduate students can study abroad through the Center for International Education (CIE).  Exchange programs allow graduate students to continue to pay their regular tuition to NAU while tuition is waived at host institutions abroad.  CIE offers programs in all academic disciplines, with courses taught abroad in English and/or a foreign language.  For more information, contact Education Abroad.

Apply Now!

The Graduate College is your resource hub for graduate studies. Once you have chosen your program, you will need to:


  1. Apply to the NAU Graduate College 
  2. Check with a graduate program contact in your department to see if there are any other special requirements.
  3. Review details on a program's requirements for coursework and credit hours in its program of study.